Governance & Compliance Officer
The British Mountaineering Council
The British Mountaineering Council (BMC) is the national representative body for climbers, hill walkers and mountaineers in England and Wales. Established in 1944 the organisation has 85,000 members and a staff of 35 who cover a diverse range of functions on behalf of the membership.
The BMC is in the midst of a period of constitutional reform and we are seeking an experienced individual to take on important governance and compliance function across the organisation.
The post holder will be well-organised with strong attention to detail and a background of governance and compliance work in a relevant organisation or sector. Knowledge of the BMC and experience working with volunteers will be beneficial although not essential.
- Monitor and oversee external governance and compliance standards and requirements and work with BMC staff and volunteer to ensure understanding and compliance across the organisation.
- With particular reference to AGM procedures – work with staff and key volunteers to ensure the BMC operates in accordance with its Articles of Association.
- Act as Company Secretary of the BMC providing support to the Board of Directors and CEO as required.
- Support the Company Secretary functions and governance and compliance needs of the BMC’s charitable subsidiaries (Mountain Heritage Trust, Access & Conservation Trust and Land & Property Trust).
- Work with external organisations (including the SRA, Sport England, UK Sport and Sport Wales) to ensure the BMC is kept up to date on developments in legislation and good practice in governance.
- Advise and support BMC staff on legislation, regulations and codes of practice affecting the organisation.
- At least 3 years’ experience working in governance and/or compliance function in a relevant organisation or sector
- Proven experience in governance and compliance processes and the implementation of new procedures
- Strong interpersonal skills and a proven track record of managing relationships at all levels
- Well organised, with excellent analytical skills and strong attention to detail
- Highly computer literate with excellent communication skills (written, verbal, technical)
- Integrity and discretion when handling confidential information
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends as required
- Experience of membership organisations
- Working knowledge and experience of governance in the sporting sector; including an understanding of the Code for Sports Governance
- Legal knowledge, skills and training
- Experience in working with volunteers
- Experience in performing a company secretarial role
- Welsh speaker
- Knowledge of the BMC and an interest in climbing, hill walking and mountaineering